Thursday, January 10, 2013

Movie Review: The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 (2012)


Ever since the end of Breaking Dawn - Part 1, the Lil Diva (11) and the Lil Princess (9) have been bugging to make sure they get to see Breaking Dawn - Part 2.

I didn't get them involved in The Twilight Saga. Their brother and friends did. I haven't read a single book in the series, and this is the only movie out of all four that I've seen. The girls haven't read the books either, but they loved all the movies.

In this final Twilight movie, Bella (Kristen Stewart) awakens after the birth of Renesmee (Mackenzie Foy). Now a vampire, she has skills and gifts she must learn to control and develop. When her daughter begins to grow at an accelerated rate, the Cullens feel they must find out more about her gifts.

Allegations about Renesmee reach the Volturi, forcing the Cullens to gather other vampire clans in order to protect the family.

Having not seen the events leading up to Breaking Dawn - Part 2, put me at a disadvantage. I didn't know these characters' history. I didn't immediately know how they were connected to certain people. I also had no idea who or what the Volturi are. That last one hasn't changed. All I know is they were the bad guys in this movie.

I have to admit, if I knew how violent this movie was, I never would have agreed to take the Lil Diva. The Lil Princess went with her brother around Christmas time. Now I know why she's been having nightmares for weeks. Not a ton of blood, but very disturbing violent images, especially during the final battle scene. The girls insist the other movies weren't like this.

That aside, the plot was great. The Volturi are afraid the Cullens have produced an immortal child that is a threat to all vampires' existence. The Cullens search far and wide for members to be a witness for Renesmee, showing she is no danger to anyone. They believe if the Volturi learn of the girl's true gifts, they will allow them to live in peace. Other than the violence, there are a lot of intense scenes and a few partially naked moments.

The movie didn't make me want to go back and watch the previous installments, but it did make me curious about the books. I don't think I'll read them soon, but I might add them to my extensive wish list.


Release Date: 16 November 2012 (USA)
Runtime: 115 min
Rated PG-13


No comments:

Post a Comment