Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Interview with Kurt Stradtman, Author of Am I the Person My Mother Warned Me About?

Our guest today is Kurt Stradtman. Kurt, author of Am I The Person My Mother Warned Me About?: A Four-Year College Experience . . . Only the Fun Parts, is the next up-and-coming author aiming his satire works at college-age students documenting true events that have happened in his life.


Welcome to Books, Products and More, Kurt. It's great to have you here.

Where did you grow up?

I grew up on a coastal island off of the state of Georgia, St. Simons Island.

When did you begin writing?

I have always had an interest in writing, and have always written off and on. I began writing Am I The Person My Mother Warned Me About? two years ago after posting my first blog post on “A Haphazard Collection of Contemplation” (My personal blog).

Do you write during the day, at night or whenever you can sneak a few moments?

Because I work full time in advertising and photography, after getting my publishing deal, I could only write late at night (early in the morning). Countless energy drinks, loud music, and 4am bedtimes is what go the book completed in time.

What is this book about?

This book has a lot of underlying meanings. This book is a personal memoir about the four years I was in college. Just because it is of four years, does not mean that I finished college. I took a very long holiday off college.

However, during college, many people face identity issues. Issues trying to find your true identity or colors. This book is an account of the incidents and events of my actions that led me to ask myself the question, “AM I The Person My Mother Warned Me About?” I wanted to use this book to lead to my answering the question, but then I decided to make it a little game; you answer the question yourself… but don’t judge a book by its cover.

What inspired you to write it?

The first ever chapter was written as an email to a friend, it was received with praise, and soon all my friends wanted to read it, and encouraged me to write more. I then posted them on a blog, and then people suggested I compile them into a book.

Who is your favorite character from the book?

My favorite character is my best friend who’s name was changed to Jessica in the book. She shares my quirks, and we have had the best of times. (I will give you a hint, the book is dedicated to her).

Who is your biggest supporter?

I would say my biggest supporter is my family. My mother likes to say that she didn’t expect anything less from me, she was a bit disappointed in some of the themes of the book, but where would the title be if she agreed with everything?

Who is your favorite author?

I can be poignant and say Henry David Throeau, but Augusten Burroughs is probably my favorite author. Even though my memoir is edgy, and politically incorrect, it’s theme is still comparable to a modern day Thoreau. Be yourself, and don’t change yourself for anyone. The world will take you for who you are.

Do you have an agent or are you looking for one?

I am looking for an agent.

Was the road to publication smooth sailing or a bumpy ride?

Smoother than I thought. From the time of finding a publisher, to holding the book in my hand was about 3 and a half months.

If you knew then, what you know now, is there anything you would have done differently?

Nothing at all. We have all made mistakes, we have all had opportunity’s where we would have liked to have done things differently, but it all happened for a reason, it shaped me into who I am, so I made this bed. I am sleeping like a baby.

Where can readers purchase a copy of your book?

3,000 booksellers, surely your favorite store sells my book. But your local bookstores order desk, amazon.com barnesandnoble.com, etc.

Do you have a website and/or blog where readers can find out more?

http://www.kurtstradtman.com/ and links to my blog and Facebook are on the site.

Do you have a video trailer to promote your book? If yes, where can readers find it?

A book trailer is under construction and will be made available on my homepage as soon as it’s completed.

What is up next for you?

I am currently working on my next memoir, scheduled for release late 2012 encompassing my childhood until now and my unconventional family.

Thanks for spending time with us today, Kurt. We wish you great success.

No comments:

Post a Comment