Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What is Literary Fiction? by Gail Graham, Author of Sea Changes



Sea Changes is literary fiction. But what is literary fiction? One editor described literary fiction as being a work “with an untargetable market.” A better definition might be that literary fiction is, among other things, not genre fiction.

The whole idea of genre fiction has little to do with literature, although it has quite a lot to do with marketing. Genres divide books and their readers into neat and distinct categories, which make it easy for publishers’ representatives to sell books.

Genre isn’t about quality. It’s about a formula. When I was young, we used to call it pulp fiction. Reading genre fiction is like eating a Big Mac. You know exactly what to expect, and what you expect is what you get.

Sea Changes is not genre fiction. The plot turns around an (alleged) kidnapping and murder, but Sea Changes is not a mystery. A lonely woman meets a lonely man and they are attracted to one another, but Sea Changes is not a romance. There’s a parallel universe -- but Sea Changes is not science fiction, or fantasy.

Sea Changes draws you in. Sea Changes forces you – the reader – to decide what is really going on at any given point in the story. You may think it’s an allegory. You may think it’s an adventure. You’ll certainly find it a good read.

Some writers write for their own satisfaction, but I write for a particular group of discerning readers. I know my readers. I know what they like.

My readers like unusual books, novels that are different. Many of my readers belong to book discussion groups, and enjoy speculating about plot, and character, and intent. My readers insist upon what they consider good writing, and they like a tight, plausible plot. A million years ago, a New York agent named Scott Meredith wrote an article of advice to beginning writers. I still remember his succinct description of what constitutes a good novel. “An appealing character struggles against great odds to attain a worthwhile goal.” My readers would agree.

Does this sound like you? If so, you’re one of my readers. Write to me at gailgrahamseachanges@comcast.net and tell me what you think of Sea Changes. I look forward to hearing from you, because you – my reader -- are the reason I write.

To find out more about Sea Changes and Gail Graham's other books, visit her website at www.gailgraham.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment