Sunday, December 31, 2017

Ways for Busy Moms to Start the Year Right


This has been an overwhelming year for a lot of people I've spoken with. It has been for me as well: too much to do, not enough time to get it all done. This is the time of year people consider changes and it's no different around here.

Last January, Business Insider published an article that stated 80% of New Year's resolutions fail by the second week of February. As a goal-driven person, I don't like those odds. Here are a few tips to help busy moms--and others--start the year off right.

Write Out a Year End Review

It's important to give yourself a starting point for the new year. That's hard to do if you haven't considered what you accomplished the year before. What worked? What improvements did you make? What do you wish you made more time for?

Tie Up Loose Ends

I spend the last week of the year tying up all the loose ends I can: write outstanding book reviews; purge my contact list; compile documentation for taxes; finish holiday clean up, etc. Why start off the new year being bogged down by last year's unfinished chores? This will give you a great sense of accomplishment.

Set S.M.A.R.T. Goals

One of the best ways to stay on track is by setting goals that are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely. Vague goals won't get you where you want to be. Aim high, but not so high you'll get discouraged when you can't accomplish your goals.

The past few years I've created a vision board. Have you ever tried that? My vision board hangs in my office to keep me focused. I'm thinking of creating one for my writing this year because it is helpful to visualize your goals.

If you have other ideas on how to start the year off right, please share them. Let's work to achieve our goals for 2018 together.

No comments:

Post a Comment