Thursday, June 14, 2012

Product Review: Pepsi Next


I've been a Pepsi-Cola kid my whole life. I actually took the Pepsi challenge when I was about 10 at the local mall. Wish I had saved that darn button they gave me.

I don't drink a lot of soda, but I'm usually good for two 12 fl. oz. cans a day. That's 82 grams of sugar folks. I try not to give the kids my bad habits, but they enjoy soda from time to time. I switched them to Pepsi Max recently because it has less of a diet taste, but it is a low-calorie, no sugar alternative.

Since I don't care for the taste of diet sodas either, I opted to give Pepsi Next a try this week. It is said to have a real cola taste with 60% less sugar. Pepsi Next contains high fructose corn syrup, aspartame, sucralose, and acesulfame potassium. In addition, a 12 fl. oz. serving of  Pepsi Next has 60mg of sodium, which is higher than what is in regular Pepsi.

You're probably screaming, "Well, it's soda. It's not supposed to be good for you." I agree. No way you look at it is soda ever going to be for the health-conscious consumer; though I don't consider myself one. As a mom, however, I am working toward improving our family's overall health and have made changes at the grocery store as a result. My purchase of Pepsi Next is probably more me trying to convince myself that if I find a healthier version of soda it's okay to drink it.

The taste of Pepsi Next isn't bad. It's definitely better than diet soda or Pepsi Max. My challenge with it is that it doesn't have the same amount of fizz. After about 1 minute, it tastes like I'm drinking flat soda. So, even though I shouldn't buy soda next week, I'm sure I'll be back to regular Pepsi. I'll take a bit more sugar and less sodium and still have a soda that remains fizzy until the last sip.

I purchased two 2 liter bottles of Pepsi Next during my regular shopping trip. I received no monetary compensation of any kind for this review.


No comments:

Post a Comment