Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Stepping Toward Self-Sufficiency - Gardening

It's been unseasonably warm in Massachusetts. Highs have been in the low to mid-60s and one day this week we hit 70. I'm afraid this means we'll end up with a blizzard in April.

The nice thing about the warm weather is that I have been gearing up for spring--at least in my mind. I'm determined to put in a small vegetable garden this year. With the poor soil here, raised beds are the way to go. If I set it up now, covering the grass with newspaper, I can keep weeding during the growing season to a minimum.

I found these raised beds at Home Depot. They are made from a composite material that saves 16 pounds of plastic and wood flour from landfills per bed. According to the website, they will not rot. That's a plus. I am going to order three of them--one for me, and one each for the Lil Diva and the Lil Princess. They've helped me garden since they were little, so they want to try their hands at growing their own vegetables. 

I haven't worked out everything I'll put in my bed, but I know it will include:
  • tomatoes,
  • carrots,
  • cucumbers,
  • green beans,
  • onions.
I am also considering lettuce--which did well in my earlier garden despite the poor soil--and some herbs: rosemary, basil, marjoram. I would like to surround the raised beds with plants that deter deer. At least maybe I can keep some of the wildlife out of the garden.

Do you have a vegetable garden? What are some of your favorite vegetables? Can you recommend any natural products to keep the pests away?

No comments:

Post a Comment