Monday, March 14, 2016

The 21-Day Fix Has Begun



Last week I started the 21 Day Fix. I have to admit when it arrived, I was unimpressed. I spent $70 on a book, a plastic shaker for shakes I won't be making, a meal chart, a couple of DVDs and a set of plastic containers I could have bought at Walmart for about $3?

I can't say the cost still doesn't irk me, but here's the thing: it's making exercising and eating right easier. Here's how it goes:

  • There are six containers: green for veggies, purple for fruit, red for protein, yellow for carbs, blue for healthy fats, and orange for seeds and dressings. You start by calculating your current caloric intake. Then based upon your caloric intake, you are allowed a certain number of each containers a day. I'm within the 1200-1499 range, so I can have 3 containers of veggies, 2 fruit, four protein, two carbs, one healthy fat, and one seeds and dressings. The containers come with stick on labels so you remember how many servings you can have of a particular food group and what each color contains.
  • In the eating plan book, you'll find not only ideas of what you can put in your containers, but recipes. 
  • It also comes with a paper daily meal tracker so you can make sure you're getting the right number of containers each day. 
  • The two DVDs have five days each of workout routines. They are not easy. If I hadn't been doing a bit of exercise before now it would be hard to keep up. Luckily, they have one person who performs a modified workout. I have to resort to that from time to time. You need some equipment for these workouts: exercise mat and light and heavy weights or resistance bands. 
  • The plastic shake container is for those who will be making protein shakes. I can't, as even the smell of them makes me sick to my stomach.
  • The 21 Day Fix Start Here pamphlet has a Transformation Tracker on the back where you can record your Before and After measurements. In addition, participants are encouraged to take Before and After photos. 
So, how's it going? The first week I took two days of rest because working out seven days is too tough for me. I am, however, doing a a mostly good job about sticking to the eating plan. I have to admit I can't give up that one last can of soda a day. Caffeine withdrawal headaches are still a pain. I also find that since I have been drinking more water--water is highly encouraged--I crave it more when I don't have it. 

I was supposed to work out today, but it didn't happen because of my schedule. Tuesday it must happen or I will start getting lazy. 

One thing I've found helpful is to take Probiotic Gummies. Probiotics are said to promote digestive and immune health. I definitely feel better when I take them daily. My belly feels too full otherwise.

I've been sharing photos on my regular Facebook page. Sometimes they are food photos. Other times it's just me looking exhausted after a workout. I'm a visual person, so these pictures help motive me to keep moving forward.

I'm not sure what the end of the 21 Day Fix will bring, but I know I'm working toward a healthier lifestyle, and that's all that matters. 



No comments:

Post a Comment