Wednesday, December 30, 2015

New Year's Resolutions -- My Thoughts and Your Thoughts

It's that time of year again--time to make your New Year's resolutions. For years I avoided this because I have little willpower to stick with them. It seems silly, however, for a goal oriented person like myself to simply avoid them because they are tough. In reflecting on past resolutions, I realize I haven't treated them enough like my other goals. They are too vague: lose weight, eat better, exercise more (Who am I kidding? Exercise at all.).

For the record, I was underweight most of my life. Until after the birth of the Lil' Princess I was thirty pounds too light. So, now I am at the top range of--or depending upon how much I indulge, a few pounds over--what would be normal weight for my height. I just can't stand that all of it has settled into my middle and my skin is flabby.

This goal might sound silly, but it's part of my feel better, look better, eat better goal; and I figure my vanity will push things along faster than my desire to eat better and exercise.

So, in the spirit of making 2016 the best year ever, here are some S.M.A.R.T. goals for the new year.

GOAL 1 - Lose 10 pounds by June 30.

During this past week, I've signed up for the Eat This, Not That newsletter. I bought books this past year that I never had time to read, so I am thinking this short newsletter will be more effective. Today, I already made a list of foods/drinks that can help me shrink my belly and a list foods to avoid. I don't expect it all to happen at once, but baby steps. In addition, I am a visual person so this list should help. I might go so far as to create a board with photos to hang in my office as a reminder.

In order to truly make a difference, I have to:

Smaller goal: change my grocery shopping habits. While 2015 showed some improvement in what ends up in the grocery cart, there's still too much sugar, too little good fiber, and a bit too much sodium. My work schedule has created an environment where I depend on pre-packaged foods too much. I also need to stop buying soda. It's my one true vice. I really love it.

Smaller goal: There's going to need to be some better time management going on so that I can prepare meals ahead of time. If I keep Friday nights free--not always something I can do--I can make that a meal planning evening.

GOAL 2 - Find healthy recipes....and actually make them. 

I enjoy healthier options when we are out. I'm just stuck in the same old eating habits at home that I desperately need to break. So, I am thinking find a new recipe on a Friday night and then buy the ingredients during my regular grocery shopping trip.

GOAL 3 - Keep healthy snacks around the house.

Packaged healthy snacks can get expensive, but we need to start somewhere and I know my time won't allow me to make my own. I also plan to buy more fruit that I can easily carry with me to the office.

GOAL 4 - Exercise three mornings a week. 

This is going to be the toughest goal. I don't enjoy exercising and I never seem to make time for it. The reality is that if I don't do it first thing in the morning after dropping the girls off at school, it won't happen. That also happens to be, however, my prime time to get most of my work accomplished at the office because no one is around. My goal is to exercise Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 7:45 to 8:15. 

Smaller goal: Time block my calendar as a visual commitment to exercise.

Smaller goal: Use quieter, upstairs office space to accomplish more when in the office. If I am going to make exercise a reality, I need to distance myself from distractions. There is a new office space upstairs where I work which will allow me to not be distracted by so much office commotion.

Smaller goal: Substitute a short walk if exercise can't happen. The mall has a walking group and I have an ideal neighborhood to walk in when the weather is warmer. Not sure I would walk if it was too cold out, but we'll see.

I really think that is all I can work on right now. This will take a major commitment as it is to change some horrible habits.

So, what about you? How do you feel about New Year's Resolutions? Love 'em? Hate 'em? Avoid them altogether? Please share your thoughts. Also, if you would like an accountability partner, we could have a weekly check in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment