Monday, October 13, 2014

Mailbox Monday - October 13

Mailbox Monday is a meme started by Marcia of To Be Continued. Mailbox Monday is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came in their mailbox during the last week. It now has a permanent home at the Mailbox Monday blog.

Warning: Mailbox Monday can lead to envy, toppling TBR piles, and humongous wish lists.

I skipped last week because I didn't receive anything new, but also because I'm struggling as a busy mom to keep up with blogging while working and doing all the fun stuff moms are supposed to do with the kids. I'm sorry my blog is suffering for it. I have several books on my other blogs that I need to write reviews for. I'm trying to take that Laura Ingalls Wilder class plus one on the Ozarks. The good news is, though, that I closed my first real estate transaction! It's also led me to a potential few more, so fingers crossed and all prayers appreciated.

On Saturday, I'll be attending the Write Angles Conference. I've been attending the past few years and really love it. I opted not to meet with an agent this year. I want to focus on finishing my middle grade historical novel, then be ready to meet with someone next October.

Here's what arrived in my mailbox last week got review:


“Ema, give me your hand.” These were the words Jesus spoke to Ema on Christmas Eve--the night He straightened her crooked foot, hand, neck, and spine, and restored her mobility.

Easter weekend, eighteen years earlier, an ordinary workday turned into a nightmare when Ema McKinley passed out and was left hanging upside down in the storage room.

Rather than improving, Ema’s body became progressively bent and disfigured. Doctors diagnosed Ema with reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD), an extremely painful trauma-induced disease which led to Ema’s hand and foot deformities, painful sores, insomnia, gastrological distress, curvature of the neck and spine, heart and lung failure, and permanent confinement to a wheelchair.

Once an athletic, powerhouse woman with multiple jobs and volunteer positions, Ema became a modern-day Job who lost everything except her faith and desire to trust God more fully. Ema wrestled with pain, anger, and unforgiveness, but now takes the reader on a healing miracle encounter of Biblical proportions.

Rush of Heaven will ignite readers’ passion for Jesus and help them walk hand-in-hand with Him through life’s darkness. It will open hearts to embrace the impossible.

“Jesus gave me this miracle for you too!” — Ema McKinley


These are titles that arrived unsolicited. I will probably give these away:



Classic illustrations convey the magic of St. Nick's visit, from the shadows cast by his sleigh to the twinkling eyes and rosy cheeks of his friendly face.


A fresh take on a timeless fairy tale

This stunning edition of the favorite fable about a little girl in red on her journey through the woods makes brilliant use of laser die-cut paper and silhouette-like illustrations to enliven every page. Sybille Schenker’s evocative and exquisite illustrations bring a unique beauty and graphic excellence to this beloved favorite.

Blogger's note: I have to admit to not being a fan of this series. The black on red is creepy. While the die cuts are nice, I just find this and the author's Hanzel & Gretel book too scary for little kids. 



A young bird finds the strength to overcome bullying

Little Raven was last to hatch in the nest and the last to learn to fly, but he was the first to be teased and ridiculed. His only wish was to fly and play with the others, so one day he took a dare and, to show his courage, Little Raven decides to fly to the moon. Beautifully produced and with artwork from an acclaimed illustrator, this picture book gently handles the issue of wanting to find acceptance.


One of the best loved of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales, this retelling of The Snow Queen is both delightful and accessible.

These timeless, classic stories have been gloriously illustrated and made accessible for younger children to read alone, or for all the family to enjoy together. This fresh approach brings the stories and their characters to life. There are also special pages giving background detail to set the scene of each story.

When the Snow Queen abducts her friend Kai, Gerda sets out on a perilous and magical journey to find him.



What do you receive in your mailbox?

No comments:

Post a Comment