Monday, November 8, 2010

Author Interview: Hazel Statham, Author of The Portrait


Hazel Statham lives in England and has been writing on and off since she was fifteen. Initially she was influenced by Austen, the Brontës, and Sabatini but when she turned seventeen, Georgette Heyer opened up the romance and elegance of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. She immediately knew she had found her eras and wanted nothing more than to re-create them in her work.

Hazel lives with her husband, Terry, and a beautiful Labrador named Mollie. Apart from writing, her other ruling passion is animals, and until recently she acted as treasurer for an organization that raised money for animal charities.
To learn more about Hazel and her books visit her website: www.hazel-statham.co.uk

Today we sit down with Hazel to talk about her new release.

Welcome Hazel. It's wonderful to have you here.

Where did you grow up?

I have lived in Staffordshire all my life and most of my early years were spent in a town called Hanley.

What is your fondest childhood memory?

It has to be the days I spent at the stables, when summers were hot with few days of rain. I learned to ride at the age of eleven and so began a life-long love of horses.

When did you begin writing?

I wrote my first book, purely for my own amusement, in 1961, at the age of fifteen and have continued writing on an off ever since.


What is The Portrait about?

England 1812

Severely injured at the battle of Salamanca, Edward Thurston, the new Earl of Sinclair, returns home to his beloved Fly Hall. Determined not to present his prospective bride with the wreck he believes himself to have become, he decides to end his betrothal, unaware that Lady Jennifer, for vastly differing reasons, has reached the selfsame decision.

Throughout the campaigns, Edward was often seen relying greatly on a miniature he carried, and it is to this token he clings upon his return. Will he eventually find happiness with the girl in the portrait, or will he remain firm in his resolve not to wed? Reason dictates one course, his heart another.

What inspired you to write it?

The Portrait was inspired by a line from a song from the film Hawks. The singer says he wanted to be the man she thought he was and this brought about the theme of my book – a wounded hero returning from war, ending his betrothal because of his wounds.

Are you a member of a critique group? If no, who provides feedback on your work?

I occasionally ask on-line writing friends to read over my work but, for me, writing is a solitary task as I work entirely alone.

Who is your favorite author?

Can I cheat and have more than one? Charlotte Bronte and Georgette Heyer are the authors that have influenced my writing the most but I have also enjoyed work by numerous others, far too many to commit to a list.

Where can readers purchase a copy of your book?

Barnes & Noble
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?r=1&afsrc=1&EAN=9780803477872

Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Portrait-Hazel-Statham/dp/0803477872/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284298668&sr=1-1

Do you have a website and/or blog where readers can find out more?

www.hazel-statham.co.uk

What is the best investment you have made in promoting your book?
Promoting isn’t my forte therefore, taking an on-line virtual book tour has to be my best investment.
What is up next for you?

I have another Regency romance, Consequence, due to be released with Avalon Books sometime next year. In the meantime, I continue with my current work in progress, which has the temporary title of The Honorable Heart.

Is there anything you would like to add?

I hope my readers enjoy reading my work as much as I enjoy writing it.

Thanks for spending time with us today. We wish you much success.

No comments:

Post a Comment