Wednesday, May 20, 2009

No Teachers Left Behind -- Why I Keep Thinking about It


Did you ever read a book that you can't seem to stop thinking about? That's the case for me with No Teachers Left Behind by Hopeful But Frustrated Teacher (HBF Teacher).

Here's my review of this realistic fiction book that details the day-to-day life in a fictional middle school. I admitted to having mixed feelings about it because I am not only a parent, but I also volunteer at my daughters' schools. I've heard the complaints about large class sizes, but my repeated offers to help out in the classroom aren't taken advantage of. Neither was my offer to run a fundraiser for the school library. It's sometimes a frustrating position to be in.

No Teacher's Left Behind did leave me with many thoughts to ponder--and I am still pondering them.

* Is it true that schools are so concerned about their discipline records that the administrators try to keep the children in the classroom, forcing the teacher to deal with unruly and disruptive students whose behavior impacts the entire class?

* How can educators be expected to prepare engaging lesson plans with limited supplies?

* What has easy access to illegal drugs done to our public schools?

* Why does violence run rampant through our schools and how can we stop it?

* Why are some parents unsupportive of their children's teachers? Do they see their children as blameless?

* Have teachers complained about large class sizes, undisciplined students, and unsupportive parents for so long, that everyone now turns a deaf ear?

I wish I had the answer to even one of these questions.

No Teachers Left Behind can't answer these questions for me. What it does, however, is make you sit up and take notice that America's public schools are in trouble. It makes you think of all those dedicated teachers working in America's public schools who truly want to help their students succeed. I also believe, that once you read No Teachers Left Behind, you'll be thinking about it for many days after you've turned the last page.


ABOUT THE BOOK: Explored through a series of poems, emails, and brief conversations, No Teachers Left Behind is a fictional yet realistic look at the frustrations of middle school staff.

AUTHOR'S BIO: HBF Teacher has been a public school Middle grades teacher for three years. Before that, HBF substitute taught for two years. HBF has also worked as a live-in nanny and an accounts payable representative.

Today when not nurturing young minds, HBF enjoys travel, photography, culinary arts, and the cinema. The Cohen Brothers and Tyler Perry are among her favorite artistic contributors.

TO SEE WHERE HBF TEACHER STOPS NEXT, VISIT http://virtualbooktours.wordpress.com/

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for allowing me to mingle with your readers today. It was really fun.

    ReplyDelete