Monday, October 17, 2011

Guest Blogger: Marilyn Meredith, Author of Bears With Us

My special guest today is Marilyn Meredith, author of the award-winning Deputy Tempe Crabtree mystery series. The latest book is titled, Bears With Us.

A burglar turns out to be a bear and Deputy Tempe Crabtree and her pastor husband, Hutch, chase the bear out of the house. This is their first encounter with a bear and the occupants of the home, an elderly couple and their daughter—and it isn’t the last.

A bear turns up at the school, at a restaurant, an apple orchard and two more homes. That is only part of what Tempe is called to handle. A teenager’s suicide, a mother who doesn’t like her daughter’s boyfriend, a wandering senior with a strange form of Alzheimer’s, and a long ago love affair keep Tempe hopping.

AN EVENT THAT INSPIRED MY DEPUTY TEMPE CRABTREE MYSTERIES BY MARILYN MEREDITH


Before I began writing about Tempe, I was invited to a Pow Wow by a friend who’d been asked to take photos of the participants of the event. My job was to write down the names of the people she took pictures of, and get parents’ permission if the subject was a child.

It was my first Pow Wow and I was fascinated. The outfits the dancers wore were beautiful and the dances mesmerizing. I learned the meanings of some of the dances, and believe me, I took notes like crazy.

That evening, I was invited to my friend’s home for dinner and two of her other guests were Native American friends who’d come to town for the Pow Wow. Fascinated, I mainly just listened. I learned they had a garden of native plants surrounding their home, and opened it to visitors. Again, more note taking.

The very first book in the series, Deadly Trail, is mainly set around the Bear Creek Inn, where Nick Two John has created a path through a garden of native plants, some medicinal, others deadly.

The second book in the series, Deadly Omen, begins at a Pow Wow. One of the candidates for Pow Wow Princess is murdered. The best praise I’ve had for this book is an Indian from our local reservation who read the book and called me. His comment was, “I wanted to tell you that you got it right.”

In order to continue with the series, I’ve visited the nearby reservation and learned a lot about their beliefs and legends.

One thing I need to add here though, is I’m writing fiction. The reservation I’m writing about is fictional as are all the Indians—but as I’ve admitted, I borrow a lot from our local Native Americans.

The latest in the series is Bears With Us.

Deputy Tempe Crabtree has her hands full when bears turn up in and around Bear Creek, a young teen commits suicide and his parents’ actions are suspicious, a prominent woman files a complaint against Tempe and her preacher husband Hutch, a love affair from long ago comes to light, and a woman suffering from dementia disappears.

You can find it in all forms at the publisher:

http://mundania.com/book.php?title=Bears+With+Us/

And of course, it’s available in all the usual places.

The entire series can be obtained through Mundania Press http://www.mundania.com/



Marilyn Meredith is the author of over thirty published novels, including the award winning Deputy Tempe Crabtree mystery series, the latest Bears With Us from Mundania Press. Writing as F. M. Meredith, her latest Rocky Bluff P.D. crime novel is Angel Lost, the third from Oak Tree Press. Marilyn is a member of EPIC, Four chapters of Sisters in Crime, including the Central Coast chapter, Mystery Writers of America, and on the board of the Public Safety Writers of America. Visit her at http://fictionforyou.com and her blog at http://marilymeredith.blogspot.com/


CONTEST DETAILS: Would you like to be immortalized in print? Marilyn Meredith is running a contest during her BEARS WITH US virtual book tour. Whoever leaves a comment on the most blog sites during the tour, will have his or her name used for a character in Marilyn’s next book. Please visit http://www.pumpupyourbook.com/2011/08/11/bears-with-us-virtual-book-tour-october-2011/ for her entire schedule. Good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment