Sunday, February 20, 2011

Spare Time Hobbies--Cross-stitch


My mémère (grandmother) introduced me to cross-stitch when I was around ten years old. Over the years I have completed numerous cross-stitch projects. When I first began, I used stamped cross-stitch projects, where the image was stamped--usually in blue ink--onto the fabric, and I simply had to use needle and embroidery floss to cover the stamp, ending up with a beautiful picture.

For many years now, I have preferred counted cross-stitch, which is where you purchase a kit or just the supplies--hoop, floss, Aida cloth, and needle--and create an image using a pattern. Craft stores, such as JoAnn Fabric and Craft Stores, sell these supplies, in addition to many pattern books. We have a JoAnn's close by, and the problem is that when I visit, I usually end up buying more than I went in for.

The nice thing about crafting is that it allows me to spend time with my girls. They enjoy cross-stitch, plastic canvas, painting, and drawing.

What are some of your spare time hobbies? Do you work together on projects with other family members?

No comments:

Post a Comment