Thursday, May 27, 2010

How Many Books Do You Read at A Time?



I've been trying to catch up on my reading--I'm not, by the way--and so I've been reading multiple books at one time. I don't usually do that, but my TBR pile is huge and there are so many great new books coming out that I want to read, plus several I am reading for virtual book tours, that I want to work my way through the older books.

Usually I take the older ones on vacation with me, but this time I have so many books for virtual book tour clients (not only my own, but for other companies too) that I'll be taking current books instead.

I'm curious how many reviewers juggle multiple books at a time. I don't find it very easy, as I like to immerse myself in the characters, and I feel pulled away when I am jumping between stories. So, what I decided to do instead was read one novel, a children's nonfiction book (I finished it yesterday), and a nonfiction account of abolitionist and women's rights activist Martha Wright.

So, how many books do you read at a time? If you read multiple books at once, do you have any tips on how to stay focused on the characters and plot?

2 comments:

  1. I've been known to read two books at the same time. Rarely three. My 'rule' for reading more than one book at a time is that they have to be different genres. When I read more than one book at a time, it's usually one fiction and one non-fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost always have an audiobook and a paper book going at the same time. Now I suspect I'll be adding an e-book to the mix. Sometimes I'll pick up a different book because I'm not in the mood for the one I'm reading.

    It really does help if the books are very different. I had two books that had some similarities, and I kept thinking that secondary characters from one belonged in the other-- not for long, but just briefly.

    ReplyDelete